10/03/2010

I happened to see my friend last Sunday

When I was driving in my car last Sunday, I saw my friend on the street. She is my good friend whose name is Belinda.

She used to be an English teacher in my daughter's high school until this July.

I got to know her 2 years ago when a sports festival was held in her school. At that day, I went to her school alone to see the sport festival. I happened to see a foreigner teacher and said hello to her suddenly.

(It is unusual in Japan.Japanese people don't do this action...)

We were talking about a lot of things although we just met. My daughter and her friends found us and they were disgusted because I talked too much instead of seeing the sport festival^^;

After that we had some chances to go to christmas parties together.
Recently I was told by my daughter that she quit the school and I did not know where she lives now.
So I was very glad to see her on the street.I asked her to come to my house and chat because I was free in the afternoon. I took her to my house and enjoyed chatting for a long time.We were talking about a lot of things.

At first I talked about that trip to Michigan and showed her many photos. I told her that I had many valuable
experiences in Michigan. I also told her that I learned a lot.

She started talking about Japanese life. She has been staying in Japan for 5 years. She loves Japan so much. But she sometimes does not understand something. For example, why don't Japanese people enjoy so much in their life after 5 and every weekend? Why do Japanese people work too much?Why do they have a closed society?And so son.

I know how she feels. I sometimes feel it is boring in Shiga(Higashiomi)
When I lived kyoto for 13 years after I got married, I had many chances to meet new people.
And I was able to enjoy my free time.

( I belonged to running club, Batominton club, excersise club, art flower club,and so on)

I always enjoyed my life.
Actually my neighberhood (housewives) are working as a part time job or full time job.
Only old people stay in their house.I am a very rare case.

Belinda told me that she wanted to meet new people but she could not in Shiga.
So she is trying to decide if she will stay longer or return to Australia. Japan and Australia are very different.

Of course in Japan there are many good places and many good festivals that we can enjoy.
But we have a specific rule and life style and personality. So foreigners sometimes can not follow and are
confused.

We enjoyed chatting and having some tea.
I thought, even though our dreams come true, we face some troubles and difficulties.It is reality.
Her dream was to visit in Japan someday. She is in Japan now,but she faces some troubles.
Is is normal that people have some toubles in our life?

Anyway I was very happy to see her by chance and talk to her.
By meeting people, we can know about many things...

2 comments:

  1. This is a thought-provoking story.
    I agree with you.
    It is a big gap between Japan and other countries.
    I'm a Japanese and of course I love Japan.
    On the other hand, I like foreign culture.
    Japan is a small island and it is isolated.
    However, nowadays we have so many chances to know about overseas.
    Culture shock must be a good way to find a clue to understand unfamiliar custom.
    Every event has a historical reason.
    I'm thinking about the recent news.
    Someone said that a certain country and Japan has a strategic reciprocal relation.
    I think a flexible idea is essential to maintain peace.

    (It's difficult to explain. I'll try.
    Thank you for reading.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,tamae.Thank you for reading my blog.
    I have been thinking about many things after I come back to Japan.

    Japan has many good points and bad points.
    Of course foreign countries have many good points and bad points.
    We can realize after we go outside our country.

    How about getting new coulture for our country if it is so good?

    Actually Japan changes a lot compare to the past.

    The important thing is that we feel so happy in our life.
    We may change our traditional rules.
    People have to think how to spend time happily.
    It is my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete